Soul winning is not optional. It is not a spiritual gifts. It is not a church growth program. It is a clear, unequivocal, unavoidable command of God.
Soul winning is not for a particular set of people in the church. It is not the responsibility of the “evangelism unit” alone. Soul winning is the primary assignment of every Christian. It is however true that only the Holy Spirit has the ability to turn the heart of anyone to Christ, the human input of witnessing and evangelism can not be overemphasize.
WHY IS SOUL WINNING IMPORTANT
1. Because God commands it: As stated earlier, Soul winning is not a suggestion. It is not a necessity. It is a mandate. It is an obligation for every Christian. The Master commands it. It is the will of the master.
2. There is a place called “Hell”: Psalm 9:17 say, “The wicked shall be turned into hell and all the nations that forget God. Revelations 21:8 says those without Christ will have their part in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone. We all deal with people everyday who will spend their eternity in Heaven or Hell. We know the answer. We must tell them.
3. We know how to escape Hell: Imagine a man having a cure for cancer and keeping the news to himself. imagine seeing someone about to be run over by a car and not trying to warn him. How much worse it is for those of us who know the only escape from eternal damnation to keep it from those desperately in need of this truth.
4. Because there is a place called Heaven: What a wonderful blessing it will be to be reunited with loved ones for eternity. What a privilege it will be for us to see those living forever in Heaven, to whom we have given the Gospel of Christ.
5. It is a timeless principle: Even a casual reading of the word of God will convince you that it has always been right for people who know God to tell people who don’t know God about God. After all “He that wins a soul is wise”.
6. We Must fave Jesus at the Judgement Seat of Christ: “For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad. Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade others. What we are is plain to God, and I hope it is also plain to your conscience.” II Corinthians 5: 10-11
7. Our hands will be stained with the blood of the lost we don’t tell: “When I say to a wicked person, ‘You will surely die,’ and you do not warn them or speak out to dissuade them from their evil ways in order to save their life, that wicked person will die for their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood.” Ezekiel 3:18